Tola had one last trick up her sleeve. Unbeknownst to the rest of us, she too had risen to the Pop Rocks challenge and brought her own “interesting” candy - Swedish “salt liquorice fish” candy. In other words, it was very black, shaped like a fish and tasted of a very interesting combination of salt and liquorice.

But I am game. And may I say, how interesting it is!

And Mark was not to be outdone.

(And beware, Claire, the fish are coming your way, I hear!)

By this time, however, it was getting late and some members of our party were beginning to show it.

So at last we said our good-byes and that was the end of the night.

I need to finish this by saying this was one of the most astonishing experiences I’ve ever been involved in. From the moment it was conceived, it has run smoothly. Each person who could do something came forward and did it. There was no politics, no in-fighting, no “I don’t want that job” or “I wanted to do that and you gave it to someone else.” And more than that, everything actually got done. There was no chasing-up, no double-checking, no staying up in the wee hours to do something someone else had said they'd do and didn't. It was just simply amazing seeing it all come together, because while my name is on it, I was only a small cog in the wheel. If ever there was a group effort, this was it. And this was the astonishing part of it – seeing so many people of so many backgrounds, ages, experiences, nationalities all come together and work as one.

And this same thing held true once we were all here and everything was underway. There was no factioning, no cliques, no politics. There were the usual problems – rain, accidents, missed directions – but none of it interfered with what really has been three days of just incredibly good fun.

And, yes, I definitely want to do it again next year. We’re thinking of Hadrian’s Wall next year. I think keeping it in Britain for a second year is a good idea, as it will allow us to refine the logistics. And if that works, we’re hoping for Sweden in 2008. So pencil it into your calendars and we’ll hope many more THBB-ers can participate in the future.

So that’s it. The Sheep Walk 2006 is finished.

Oh, and by the way, from what had started out as nothing more than a few people from a small community in cyberspace wishing they could make a difference, the NSPCC now has £3655 more to carry on their work protecting vulnerable and abused children.