Sunday is a day of rest! I have the whole day off until 5PM when it is time to go to Junkata Ikebukuro in Tokyo for the next book-signing.(For those of you getting confused by the Japanese names, 'Junkata' is the name of a major bookstore chain in Japan and I have been at the branch in Fukuoka and now the main branch in Tokyo.)

I spent much of my free time catching up with tasks on the computer. Because I am returning from Japan to go straight into publicity in London, I need to spend quite a lot of time with e-mail to keep all the activities straight. I am very fond of green tea and was drinking this while working, but thought I would like a little snack as well, so I went down the street from my hotel to a convenience store to buy a little package of rice cracker snack mix to eat while I worked. I include this picture just for those of you with squeamish western stomachs but also because it did, in fact, catch ME by surprise as well, because I had spilled the contents out on a piece of paper beside the computer and was munching away before I noticed that one of the components of the mix were little dried fish not unlike the special little snacks I give Lucy at home! (And yes, I continued to munch the whole mix right down.)

-

Then it was off to Junkudo. First I give an informal talk of about an hour's length to the people who have come.

-

I hadn't actually understood that I would be speaking for quite so long, so I had not prepared anything. Consequently, I just talked "off the top of my head" and then invited questions from the audience and we carried on from there. At first I was afraid this wouldn't work, but it turned into a very good discussion, thanks to many excellent and quite profound questions from the audience. Beside me is my interpreter Kaori.

-

Afterwards came the booksigning.

-

And here to have her book signed is Yukako, one of our Japanese members of the THBB message board!

-

Afterwards the Junkudo staff, I, Yuri and Masako all went out to dinner. This is us at the start (Mr. Minoru Fukushima the manager of Junkudo Ikebukuro is on the right) and you can see how neat and fresh everything is.

-

As the evening wore on and the very tasty Japanese beer flowed (in those lovely green pottery cups) more Junuko staff joined us and the hospitality and food, as always, were a real treat.

-