And then it is off to lunch and another wonderful meal. I promise not to keep boring you with pictures of food, but I do find the food here one of the most special parts of my visit.

Yuri, Masako and I go to a restaurant nearby that Mr. Takezawa recommends. It has a sushi bar, as well as traditional seating. Here is the sushi chef at work behind the bar. Note the aquarium next to him. It is full of very live cuttlefish, waiting to become sushi.

-

We sit down at one of the low tables and Yuri and Masako pore over the menu, trying to decide what we should have. There are lots of pictures to show what the food will look like, which is helpful for foreigners like me who can't read a word of Japanese!

-

Then a waitress comes with the first course.

-

Like yesterday's meal, it is very beautifully presented. The pottery case at the back with the flowers contains sashimi. Then there is a salad with fish on the left, a poached tomato in the middle and a third kind of salad on the right. In front are two bowls of soy sauce. One is for the sashimi and the second is for the sushi, which will come later. There are two because one puts wasabi into the soy for sushi.

-

Masako takes a picture of the poor foreigner struggling to cope with a whole tomato using only chopsticks. It is too big to eat in one bite and impossible to cut into smaller pieces!!

-

The next course is a dumpling soup. We each get our own little black pot of soup over a small flame.

-

Then comes the sushi! I thought this was a portion for us all to share, but no. Each one of us gets a plate like this!

-

I'm not going to be able to identify all of it now (memory fading as I am now so much older than yesterday!)

The knobs on the far left are ginger. Then cuttlefish, tuna, hoki (I think), octopus, shrimp, unknown, egg and salmon roe.