Today is the big day - the day I give the opening speech of the JSCN conference - which is why I have come to Japan. So, lots of nerves!

Fortunately, the weather is much better. This morning I can see the mountains clearly.
 -

Visible from my hotel window there on the hill is Kumamoto castle (from the 1300's, I believe)which is in the ancient Japanese tradition. Unfortunately, my side is swathed in scaffolding for repairs.

-

Now down to the serious work of the conference. I am intoduced to the conference by Dr. Makiko Oosawa. You can see my banner behind Dr. Oosawa.

-

And then comes the lecture itself, which is about the importance of developing relationships with children with emotional problems.

-

Here is a view of the crowd while I am giving my speech. It is a conference for medical doctors only, so I reckon if nerves get the worst of me and I have a heart attack on stage, this is probably the safest place in the world to do it!

-

Here I am in my school marm pose - i.e. ("You better listen to me!)

-

After the lecture, Dr. Miike, the organizer, presents me with a citation and a gift.

-

Now much relief!! The hard work is done. Yuri, Masako, Masako's friend Rie Oono who has come to listen to the lecture, and I all go out for a very wonderful lunch. Here we are in the restaurant.

-