The day I had arrived was beautiful and sunny and warm - about 60F/16C - but there was a surprise in store for us the next day, as it began to snow. The view from my hotel window was very different!

-

That evening Dr. Marlowe and the Special Education deparmtment at Appalachian State University hosted me to a wonderful dinner at the Gamekeeper Restaurant. This is a beautiful rustic lodge very high in the hills above Boone (and what an exciting drive the small, twisting road was in the snow!) We arrived to cosy open fire and wonderful food.

Here are Nancy Mamlin, Professor of Special Education, Dr. Marlowe and Richard Culatta, Chair, Department of Language, Reading, and Exceptionalities, enjoying pre-dinner drinks with me.

-

We were treated to a very special dinner. The restaurant had closed to customers in order to host our group and they prepared a lovely meal with choice of salmon or chicken. It was truly top class food.

Here at my table from left to right are Dr. Marlowe's wife, Doug Herman, the principal of Grandfather Academy and his wife Jennifer and Jarrod Werts.

-

After dinner came the very exciting trip back down the mountain road to Boone, as the snow had continued heavily all evening. In the car Dr. Marlowe and I talked gloomily about how we might have to cancel the workshop because no one would be able to travel in the snow. He told how this had happened to them before when they had a speaker and a hurricane came through. The conference ended up being just the speaker and about six staff members from the Department of Education. I hoped that wasn't going to be what happened to me!

Arriving at my hotel, Dr. Marlowe dropped me off and bid me good-bye. As I came through the doors of the hotel, I saw immediately that I wasn't going to have to worry about talking just to the staff of the Department of Education, if it kept snowing, because I was greeted by a large contingent of US (and Canadian!) members from this message board - the "THBB'ers"! They were all waiting for me in the hotel lobby!!

-