We arrived back in Jakarta from Yogyakarta Wednesday afternoon after a very bumpy return flight. Erly found it a little too bumpy, so we practiced deep-breathing and other fun things to take the mind off feeling sick and that's when I mentioned that one of the best things to stop nausea is singing. So she asked me to teach her one of the songs I sang with the children in my books and the only one I could think of quickly was "If You're Happy and You Know It, Clap Your Hands". Which probably really made our fellow passengers wonder what the heck was going on back in Row 16. But I'm happy to report it worked. She wasn't sick!

I was given a lovely farewell dinner that evening. Much to my delight - and surprise! - everyone who had made my visit to Indonesia so special was there.

-

Knowing green was my favourite colour, Ms. Erna made me a special green top to wear just for the occasion. Hughes was the MC. And yours truly got to give the first speech (wouldn't you know!)

-

Then it was being reunited with lots of friends. Of course, there was the most important of all - my editor, Tutu, and my trusty "fixer", Erly - and I just could never have managed this trip without either of them. Definitely two of the most special people I've ever met!

-

To my delight, Papa Wachid whose special education (SDLB) school Lenteng Agung in the very poor part of Jakarta was there and Hughes called him up on stage to make him give a speech too! He was then presented with a full set of my books.

-

I wanted to show my own appreciation of his hard work in such difficult conditions, so I made a donation to the school so they could buy more materials.

-

And here is Butet and me. Butet is a very special teacher. She works with the Forest People, an indigenous Stone Age tribe in the jungles of Sumatra who eschew all contact with the outer world. While the jungle where they live is a nature preserve, it is only the plants and animals who are protected, not the tribe itself and their way of life. The tribe do not read or write and Butet initially went in all alone to live with the tribe and try help them understand that by learning these skills, they would be more able to preserve their lifestyle because they would better understand what others were trying to do to them. Butet has been accepted into the tribe and now has six helpers also working with the Forest People. Butet has shared some wonderful pictures with me and I will scan them in later and put them up.

-

I was presented with some lovely gifts myself. And here from Mizan is a wonderful set of batik napkins and placemats.

-

OK, so I should never have done that bit of musical entertainment on the plane, because somehow, somewhere, some way, someone thought it would be a good idea for Hughes and me to sing a duet of James Taylor's "You've Got a Friend". Unfortunately, no one mentioned that I'm absolutely hopeless at remembering lyrics. Thank God we had Hughes!

-