I'm fascinated by all the new sights in Indonesia. Like Britain, it is an old country and even traveling small distances can mean quite big differences in culture. In Yogyakarta, rickshaws were a very common form of transport, although I very seldom saw them in Jakarta or Bandung.

-

Meanwhile, back in the hotel, all the excitement of accompanying an author on book tour is taking its toll on Erly. She's starting to lie down on the job!

-

Then time for the public lecture. My interpreter, Ita, is on the left.

-

The blouse I am wearing is a gift from Hughes and is a typical batik from her native part of Indonesia, Bali. I like it a lot. Some people thought perhaps I liked it a little too much. I didn't realize we would be in Yogyakarta so long - almost three days - and packed only this outfit and the lightweight jogsuit I was using as pajamas. So they saw me a lot in this top. Worse, I went to visit the old Hindu temple wearing, essentially, my pajamas, as this was the only other outfit I had along and I did not want to get the good clothes hot and sweaty before the lecture. But I can tell you this: it is NOT a good idea to walk around at midday in 35C/95F weather with 90% humidity, wearing a jogsuit and, indeed, wearing a hoodie for lack of any better sun protection!! I was very grateful for a bath before the lecture!! (As no doubt were all others around me!)

-