My last public lecture in Indonesia was in Yogyakarta, which is on the far end of the island of Java. It was another plane trip - this time on a very ordinary plane! - and Ms. Erly went with me and we met up with Mr. Amar, who has been another Mizan representative to work hard on the tour.

We were also met by Mr. Abdullah, Mizan's representative in Yojakarta, and everyone told me to call him Ab-ab! We all went out in the evening to drive around Yogyakarta and have dinner.

Here we are enjoying some very typical dishes of the locality. That's Mr. Amar on the left. And no, don't ask me to tell you what the names of the foods were! I found the food in Indonesia really delicious but 98% of it was totally unpronouncable. (At least to me!)

-

The next morning we had a little teeny bit of time for sight-seeing, so Ab-ab took Mr. Amar, Erly and me to see the Prambanan temple complex. It was built about A.D. 850 by Rakai Pikatan, king of the Second Mataram Dynasty and is Hindu. This part of Java was largely divided between Buddhism and Hinduism at this time. There is an even more spectacular Buddhist temple named Borobudor which is even older, but unfortunately this was too far for us to go, because we had so little time.

You know how much I love archeology, so I loved visiting here:

-

The site is absolutely huge and many of the smaller temples are only ruins, but what remains is in remarkably good condition. This is a carving on the side of one of the larger temples.

-

One of the larger, better preserved temples is dedicated to Nandi, the sacred cow, and if you climb up inside, the statue is still inside and almost perfectly preserved, except for a missing ear on one side.

-