Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#28217 - 15/09/04 06:44 PM Re: Torey's Visit to Indonesia, Part 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sunday and it is off to another book signing, this time at the Gramedia bookstore in Jakarta.
This is the biggest bookstore in all of Indonesia.

First, a picture with the very helpful Gramedia staff.
 -

Then the book signing.

-

We had a great crowd and a super question-and-answer session.

-

Then back to the hotel and sadly, it was time to say good-bye to Alin, who had been doing a wonderful job as my interpreter throughout the workshops and lectures and booksignings. She is one of the teachers from Lazuardi Islamic School and it was time for her to return to her real work!

-

Sunday evening, I was invited out to dinner by Mr Lukas, his wife Rita and their children Essa and Michael. Mr. Lukas is the managing director of KOMPAS, one of the major Indonesian newspapers, and he and his company were one of the major sponsors of my visit here. We went to the JW Marriot for a wonderful dinner. It was a buffet of almost every type of cuisine you could imagine - Indonesian, Indian, Western, Chinese, Japanese - and all delicious.

At the end, we had a very smiley picture of very full people!
 -

#28218 - 16/09/04 02:28 AM Re: Torey's Visit to Indonesia, Part 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tinker hasn't quite caught up with me, so the next set of pictures aren't up yet for me to post, so I thought I'd show you three photos of Jakarta I have taken from my hotel window, as I am sure it is a city most of you have not seen.

It is a city of about seven million, I believe, and is actually quite a beautiful city, if you get a day when the humidity allows you to see it.

-

-

And while this has been my first visit to an equatorial country and so I - still a biologist at heart - am delighted with all the banana and coconut trees, the exotic birds and animals - the thing to stymy me the most is the day/night aspect of living so close to the equator. In Britain, of course, we have huge variations in the length of the day and night, depending on the time of year, and when I left home at the beginning of the month, the sun was setting about 8:30PM and coming up about 6AM. Here it is exactly half and half - like clockwork! - which means at six in the morning, you get day and at 6 in the evening you get night! And it is almost that fast!! There is very little dawn or dusk. Consequently, it has actually seemed quite dark to me here in Jakarta, as I was accustomed to much long light in the evening.

-

#28219 - 27/09/04 08:24 AM Re: Torey's Visit to Indonesia, Part 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

The rest of the pictures of my visit to Indonesia can now be seen in the new topic "Torey's Visit to Indonesia, Part 2"

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 0 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
Catrina 13538
Susan 13235
Hannah 12704
torey 10987
Songbird 8482