Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#28197 - 06/09/04 11:19 AM Torey's Visit to Indonesia, Part 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am here in Jakarta and I am having the most WONDERFUL time! Everyone is making my visit so very pleasant. But I am busy so I do not have much time to tell you about things just now. However, here are some pictures.

This is my first day and here are some very important people in my life!

-

That is Ms Erna on the left, who is making me a beautiful Muslim blouse. Then next to me is my editor, Ms Tutu (who has a six year old daughter Rahmi who can send very good text messages in English!) On my other side is Ms. Erly, who is my "fixer". She works very, very hard to see things go smoothly!

#28198 - 06/09/04 11:21 AM Re: Torey's Visit to Indonesia, Part 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is Ms Erna measuring me for my blouse. Isn't it beautiful? I look forward to wearing it.

-

#28199 - 06/09/04 11:23 AM Re: Torey's Visit to Indonesia, Part 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

And here is my very first day working - at 7AM on Jakarta morning TV. The station is called Metro and that is Mr. Edmund with me, who is the presenter of the program.

-

We see the background as green, but they digitally impose a fancy logo and picture of the city, which the viewers see.

Here are Mr. Edmund and I after the show (both of us in our TV make up!)

-

#28200 - 06/09/04 02:23 PM Re: Torey's Visit to Indonesia, Part 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

After appearing on the morning TV program, I went to visit Lazuardi Islamic School. The kindgergardeners, dressed in very cute little costumes, put on a beautiful dance for me.

-

In Indonesia they encourage all children to learn to perform songs and dances. Lazuardi works hard to include all their special children in performances. Here is one of their young autistic children enjoying his song very much!
 -

A lovely rendition of a traditional Indonesian song by one of the older special students.

-

And one of the youngest special students giving me a personal welcome!

-

I enjoyed several lovely performances by the children as well as a great rendition of a Lionel Richie song by the teaacher who also sings the holy texts of the Koran for religious services. Later he sang a very beautiful few verses of this holy music.

I talked with the teachers and some of the parents. Then we took lots of pictures!

It is a very happy, good-humoured group at Lazuardi and we laughed a great deal. Here I am with the handsome (and very funny!) male staff.

-

And the ladies! (Well, not all ladies!)

-

#28201 - 06/09/04 02:32 PM Re: Torey's Visit to Indonesia, Part 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ms. Lubna, the director of Lazuardi, presented me with the gift of a beautiful batik. I was a little surprised!!

-

#28202 - 06/09/04 02:36 PM Re: Torey's Visit to Indonesia, Part 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the evening, I met with Hughes, who is a celebrity who presents a popular television show on Saturday evenings. I will appear on this week's show. She came to chat and brought with her Mr. Jamie, who is American and has lived in Indonesia for several years. He is a charity worker focusing on the issue of human trafficking and Hughes is closely involved in this charity work.

In the picture, we have Hughes' husband on the left, then Hughes, me (of course!), Ms. Ade, the show's producer, my dear fixer, Ms Erly, and Mr. Jamie.

-

#28203 - 06/09/04 02:43 PM Re: Torey's Visit to Indonesia, Part 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Monday morning and I went out in the far suburbs of Jakarta to visit SDLB Lenteng Agung, a state school for special children. They take children with many different disabilities - autism, hearing loss, blindness, severe emotional disturbance, cerebral palsy and mental retardation. It is in one of the poorer areas of Jakarta and they struggle hard for services, but Mr. Wachid, the director, showed me a school with a wonderful atmosphere and hard-working staff and children. I enjoyed this visit very much. It reminded me incredibly of the school where I taught Sheila and it was hard not want to join the staff right then myself!

Here is a picture of us all at the school: on the left is one of the teachers, then me, Mr. Wahid and Ms Alin, from Lazuardi, who served as my interpreter. In front of several of the children who attend the school.

-

#28204 - 06/09/04 02:47 PM Re: Torey's Visit to Indonesia, Part 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

And look, Changi! This picture is for you! Durian fruit is in season. It is a very strong smelling fruit (which is being polite about it!) It smells rather like an open sewer! I was brave enough to taste a drink last night at dinner and the verdict is still out as to whether I like it or not . . . !! But we saw many stalls selling durian (the small prickly round fruit) and jackfruit. I asked Ms. Erly to stop and help me buy some, but she thought perhaps I better wait until my stomach recovers from drinking a little too much Jakarta water!

-

#28205 - 06/09/04 02:54 PM Re: Torey's Visit to Indonesia, Part 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

After visiting Mr. Wachid's school, I returned to Lazuardi Islamic School to spend some time with the children in their classes.

Then in the afternoon we had our first press conference and book signing at QB bookstore in Jakarta.

This is my publisher, Mr. Haidar, who is acting as interpreter for me during the press conference.

-

And a final picture with Mr Haidar and QB staff at the entrance to the bookstore - which is HUGE! And had a wonderful selection of English books, so if I ever have a moment to browse . . . !!
 -

#28206 - 08/09/04 01:19 AM Re: Torey's Visit to Indonesia, Part 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ms. Erna has completed her blouse and has kindly also made me a pair of black trousers to go with it. It is absolutely beautiful and I'm so pleased with it. I hope to wear it when I appear on TV with Hughes

-

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 0 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
Catrina 13538
Susan 13235
Hannah 12704
torey 10987
Songbird 8482